Our families work together just like in the olden days

Children played an important role in the domestic tasks in the olden days. They are expected to carry out big responsibilities like tending the animals, gathering firewood, cooking, and store food for wintertime.
In grouptime we watched a short video  showing how families worked together in the past. As we watched the children were amazed to see what children from long ago were "allowed" to do and how much they helped at home.  We talked about why it's important to help and we made a list of helpful things they do at home and at Creative Minds.

Francine: I help set the table
Matthew: I clean up my toys.
Paxton: I make my own breakfast. I know how to make a croissant sandwich.
Mila: I think I need to help more.

Kathryn: Mila, why do you feel you need to help more.
Mila: I think it will make my mom happy.
Kathryn: Why do you think we should help here at Creative Minds?
Mila: So no one will trip over and get hurt.
Francine: It's nice to help.

From this exchange of ideas I felt the children understand what it means to be part of a community and they know they have a responsibility to help others.

Kesler helping with the placemats

The photos show the children setting the lunch tables and washing dishes. It was lovely to see them cooperate and figure things out on their own.


Mila: I`ll wipe for your, Francine
Connor: I can do it all by myself  
Paxton: Making sure there are no bubbles
Matthew: carefully washing glassware



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I would like more information about this, because it is very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frienships start with a simple "Hello"

Yoga story: Lion and the Mouse

Unit of Inquiry: Friendship