We can change colours by mixing

mixing food colouring using droppers
Alan watches the colour bubbles gradually mix
looking through coloured cellophane
"Look, I made green!"- Alexis
"I'm mixing all the colours."- Tai

How can we change colours?
To answer this question we did an experiment using food colouring and 
coloured cellophane.  I let the children play, explore freely and predict what might happen to the 
Yellow, Red, and Blue (Primary) colours.  They discovered that MIXING and COMBINING can  change colours. 

We watched a video called Mouse Paint (also a book by Ellen Stoll Walsh) where 3 mice discovers other colours by mixing the primary colours.  As they watched Orin said: "we were mixing colours too like the mice, it's so much fun!" I pointed out how important the primary colours are in making other colours and the children described to me what colours they can mix to make green, orange, and purple.

As I was sending them over for lunch I heard the children noticing the primary colours on their clothing and their lunch kits. They were comparing the different colours they can identify; I heard things like turquoise, beige and sky blue.  What a bunch of budding colour experts!


Pauline & Luka working together to sort
out primary colour beads.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frienships start with a simple "Hello"

Yoga story: Lion and the Mouse

Unit of Inquiry: Friendship