Colours and feelings

matching feelings with colours
black makes me feel scared
Colours can make us feel a certain way. Sometimes people use colour to describe how they feel. In these activities the children thoughtfully expressed how colours can affect or be used to describe their emotions. We did a matching game where the children identified the facial expression on the photo and then matched it with the colour, which to them best represents that feeling.
We discovered that we each have  different perspectives on how colours can make us feel.
 Orin: purple makes me feel silly and orange makes me happy
Tai: green makes me happy

Pippa: black makes me scared and red makes me happy
Francine: white makes me feel sad
Luka: yellow makes me happy and red makes me sad.

We read the story, "My Many Coloured Days", a Dr Seuss story.
This story describes how we encounter all sorts of feelings all the time. The book was helpful in creatively showing imaginative illustrations to explore feelings through color, movement and music.
"I feel like a yellow-happy day"
"I feel like a gray-boring day"


I observed that the children tend to describe their emotions in limited ways --- just "happy, sad, mad, scared".  Through this activity I realized that one of my goals is to expand their vocabulary so they can describe their feelings in more profound ways. Using colour is a great way to promote emotional literacy and realizing that colour is not just for seeing (aesthetics) but also evokes our thoughts and emotions.




Comments

  1. Glad to visit your blog, I look forward to more good articles and I think we all like to thank so many good articles, blog to share with us. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frienships start with a simple "Hello"

Yoga story: Lion and the Mouse

Unit of Inquiry: Friendship