Connection: Can you be friends with someone who is very different from you?


This week the children will explore how we are different and the same with our friends and in
what ways we connect with our friends who are different from us?

First, we looked at photos of children doing things together and discussed how these children are showing friendship. Matthew commented on how the children seem to enjoy each other's company because they are laughing together. Allye observed how the children are all playing nicely with one another and are playing the same game.
Dramatizing: Charlie Parsley is shy and quiet
Pearl Barley is loud and a problem-solver

I posed this question to the children:

Can you be friends with someone who is very different from you, someone who likes different things?

Matthew: Well, Sophie isn't my friend sometimes because she doesn't play with me all the time. I'm only friends with children I play with all the time.
Allye: My brother, Aston, is my friend because she likes to play pretend with me.
Nico: Andrea is my friend but she's not the same with me. She likes to play something else
Venn Diagram

Allye explaining a page in the story

We used a Venn Diagram to illustrate how friends can be the same and different and how it might impact the friendship. We used the characters in the story Pearly Barley and Charlie Parsley, two friends who are very different from one another and yet they are friends and like to spend time with each other.
True friends find a way to accommodate each other.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frienships start with a simple "Hello"

Yoga story: Lion and the Mouse

Unit of Inquiry: Friendship