Plants are living things

Plants are living things. What does that mean? 

Paxton: it means they are alive like me; I'm alive. 
Kathryn: how do you know you are alive.
Mila: because I can walk, I can run, I can blink my eye like this...
Kathryn: what else do living things do? 
Matthew: they eat food and drink water so they grow and grow and grow.


Seems like the children already know a lot about what living things. We looked for samples of living and non-living things inside the room and sorted out pictures. The children went out to the forest to dig for soil samples to bring inside the centre and looked through for some living creatures. They were so surprised and excited to see so many creepy crawlies and roots.  This triggered more questions and thinking about roots and why they are all over the soil. They also wondered why insects love to be in the soil and what worms like to eat. 


sorting pictures
I found a living things..it's a worm!
I just saw a centipede but it's so fast.











The children decided to study trees and flowers in the next few weeks. We will begin with Cameron's questions about roots:
 How does water get to the roots up the the rest of the tree?
Why are the roots under the ground?


I'll help you dig the soil.

Spot a living thing: A fish!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Frienships start with a simple "Hello"

Yoga story: Lion and the Mouse

Unit of Inquiry: Friendship